While the Ecovillage Design Curriculum is an "open source" offering to the world and people are free to use it as they see fit, we encourage people to apply for Gaia Education certification for courses that meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 120 contact hours (e.g. 20 course days; 6 hours/day)
- A strong intention to cover all 20 modules within each of the four dimensions
- A skilled team of educators with sufficient knowledge and experience
- A site location (ideally an ecovillage) that is a good match for this course
- A commitment to complete and submit course Evaluations (template) and Reports
Why apply for certification? We believe this process provides numerous benefits:
- GE certification endorsement adds institutional value to courses
- A Certification provides a forum in which to evolve and improve the curriculum
- New courses can receive mentoring by experienced EDE providers in their region
- New courses can apply for Start-up Grants from Gaia Education
- It provides opportunities to collectively reach out to media, organizations, & funders
If you are interested in applying for course certification please complete and submit a Certification Application.
Pioneer Course Grants Available!
Start-up grants are available for a limited number of pioneer courses. If you would like to be considered for this funding, please submit your Certification Application and your Start-up Grant Application by October 31, 2009. Funding recipients will be announced on December 1, 2009.